Sustainability aims to use natural resources in a way that present generations can use them without jeopardizing the needs of future generations. Although it is a bit of an Aussie tradition to collect firewood from the bush when camping etc, large-scale deforestation has resulted in negative environmental conditions over time and a slow-degrading of Australia’s forests. Sustainable forests are managed by regulating bodies and can only be used in a way that the forest is naturally able to balance its ecosystem. Sourcing your firewood from sustainable forests is an excellent way of helping the environment.
What is Sustainable Forestry?
Sustainable forest management places priority on the safeguarding and regeneration of the forests, whilst being able to utilize the resources carefully. Ideally, it aims to strike a balance where the materials that are taken from the sustainable, managed forest are less than or equal to the products produced by these forests. Today, sustainable forestry focuses on growing timber trees, wildlife habitat, recreation, and enhancing the landscape’s aesthetic appeal. It adopts strategies that support the global economy and replenishes the forests for a healthier and greener biosphere for wildlife.
What are the Benefits of Sustainable Firewood?
- Renewable: Wood is a natural and fully biodegradable source of fuel. It is recyclable, reusable, and recoverable. Sourcing firewood from sustainable forests ensures that more trees are grown than cut, keeping the environment balanced.
- Lower carbon footprint: Firewood has the least embodied energy from harvesting to disposal among all other fuels. Less embodied energy translates to reduced energy usage on processing and hence a lower carbon footprint.
- Reduces carbon dioxide: Trees absorb the environmental carbon dioxide by the process of photosynthesis. However, while aging, the rate of carbon dioxide absorption of trees reduces drastically. Moreover, when trees are cut down, they store the carbon dioxide in them throughout their lives. Hence cutting the old trees to grow newer trees reduces environmental carbon dioxide, making sustainable firewood greenhouse neutral.
- Harbors wildlife: When the natural forests are not destroyed for firewood, they thrive. Reduced deforestation means more natural habitat for native and endemic wildlife. You should also not remove the broken logs thought of as “deadwood” from the forest floor as even they provide shelter to many species of animals, especially insects.
- Promotes forestation: Sustainable forestation grows as many trees as it cuts down, promoting sustainability. Sustainable firewoods are grown without damaging the ecosystem and aim to maintain and support ecological balance.
- High durability: Different types of firewood are available to burn. You can opt for hardwood, plantation-grown eucalyptus, and softwood. Moreover, you can also choose different scents and heat output.
About Smart FirewoodSustainable resources for firewood are a great way to help nature restore itself while enjoying the warmth and ambiance of a wood fire. Smart Firewood delivers a convenient, local, thoughtful, and sustainable supply of premium plantation hardwood firewood in the Northern Rivers, NSW. Contact us today by calling at 0475-786-410 or fill our contact form for orders and more details.